About this site...

I started this site mainly to post reviews about books I have been reading and reviewing. I also have found, being an extremely opinionated, blabbering, stubborn, Boston Irish woman (I hate to use that word because I feel it ages me) I feel the need to discuss issues that piss me off, or make me actually think about random things. I guess parenting and reading a lot will do that to you, especially if you were a former shrink and teacher who worked with violent children and their screwed up families. I often relate life experience into my reviews and grade them like a teacher. Maybe thats why I enjoy it so much. So whether you are an author, publisher, or reader looking for a new book to check out. I hope I can help you in some way.

Home

About Me

My photo
Over-achiever, getting post grad degrees in Psychology, and Special Education. I currently homeschool my oldest teenage daughter as well as consulting with local agencies with regards to high-risk juvenile offenders. I enjoy reading and reviewing books. Had Trans Lab in November 2007 for an Acoustic Neuroma at House Ear Clinic. Currently adjusting to life with SSD, Vestibular Issues, amongst other issues that go along with AN and Trans Lab.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let The Right One In-by John Ajvide Lindqvist 10/9/2009

Let the Right One In -by John Ajvide Lindqvist 

This story differs from the usual girl next door bookin many ways. First, the book is a horror book, but interestingly enough, it is also about struggling as a preeteen, a love story, and about the bonds of friendship. The author has created several sub-plots within the story and characters who are all struggling with their own issues. The author does an excellent job switching between plots at a fast pace which keeps things interesting, yet does not confuse the reader. He (the author) does a wonderful job of meshing the different stories togeather in the end, again without confusion. The horro raspect of the book focuses on murder and vampires.  I was a bit skeptical at first before reading this book, because I am not a fan of vampire stories. The author did a great job of keeping the book not too vampire-ish,and it had enough mystrery and gore, and interesting storyline to keep me interested (it took me only a few days to read). My only complaint, which is not with the book, is with the title. Let the Right One In just does not grab my attention, and if I saw it somewhere, it might not get my interest. Maybe the cover would, but not the title. The book is translated into English from Sweedish and I think that something is lost in the title. I understand why it might be titled that, but I think someone in America could have come up with a catchier title. I hope people read this book and enjoy it as much as I did (and overlook the title).

No comments:

Post a Comment