About this site...

I started this site mainly to post reviews about books I have been reading and reviewing. I also have found, being an extremely opinionated, blabbering, stubborn, Boston Irish woman (I hate to use that word because I feel it ages me) I feel the need to discuss issues that piss me off, or make me actually think about random things. I guess parenting and reading a lot will do that to you, especially if you were a former shrink and teacher who worked with violent children and their screwed up families. I often relate life experience into my reviews and grade them like a teacher. Maybe thats why I enjoy it so much. So whether you are an author, publisher, or reader looking for a new book to check out. I hope I can help you in some way.

Home

About Me

My photo
Over-achiever, getting post grad degrees in Psychology, and Special Education. I currently homeschool my oldest teenage daughter as well as consulting with local agencies with regards to high-risk juvenile offenders. I enjoy reading and reviewing books. Had Trans Lab in November 2007 for an Acoustic Neuroma at House Ear Clinic. Currently adjusting to life with SSD, Vestibular Issues, amongst other issues that go along with AN and Trans Lab.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Permanent Obscurity-by Richard Perez

I enjoyed Permanent Obscurity, a story about two girls in their early twenties (I'm guessing), who are struggling with issues of sexual identity and drug abuse. It is written in a style that is gritty, yet can be funny an entertaining at the same time, with the predicaments that Sabrina and Deloris get themselves in to trying to make money. Unfortunately, their attempts to make money to pay for drugs end up in disaster every time. The book also contains graphic sexual content-as warned on their website (which the author and publishing company did an excellent job giving proper warning for those who might be offended). For the most part, the book kept me engaged, and was fast paced reading. There was a point at towards the end of Part I and the beginning of Part II, that had me questioning the condition of one of the characters who had been diagnosed with a condition which she would have had obvious symptoms at that point, with or without treatment, and the book just went on about partying. Eventually after about maybe fifty pages, her condition was mentioned again, answering my question. The story in some ways, reminded me of the movie “Kids” (1995); mainly, it was because of the reckless and irresponsible behavior of the characters. I think this would make an interesting independent film

No comments:

Post a Comment